Merijn’s Magical Masterchef – Mensa Masterchef 5

By Sztív

As you could expect from me, S🅱eve, I am very late when it comes to mensa. That didn’t change for Merijn’s MasterChef review (do blame Daddy Orange for it as well tho).

The dinner itself is definitely a contender for the first place tho (unlike our timing). The summer rolls were equally original – never having been done for a mensa (to our knowledge) – and complex to make. The looks weren’t exactly special, looking a bit plastic-y, with the ingredients not being perfectly aligned within, it didn’t take much away from the quality of the meal. It could’ve used a bit more of the sauce, as it was concentrated into spots within the dish, but this critique is nothing more than a nitpick. The serving size was also impeccable, everyone getting two of them. The rolls were also personally made for everyone that signed up, which made us feel like we were in a high-tier restaurant. All-in-all, this came out to be an unforgettable starter for a great dinner, being one of the top ones from the whole event.

Next came the delicious sticky tofu. This wonderful dish made Merijn’s comment about it being a famous one of his dishes completely understandable. It’ll be extremely difficult for the other contenders to top this one. I do gotta say, even though it is self-described to be one of Merijn’s famous dishes, we don’t remember a single time it was served. Maybe it’s time to change that? (khhhmmm khhhhmmm, Merijn 👀…)
This one wasn’t a clear winner in appearance either, but we immediately forgot about it once we got the first spoonful in our mouths. Once again, I gotta ask, why haven’t we had the chance to try it before? It sounds to us like the Koornbeurs is losing out on a lot… 

These two together more than fulfilled the value requirement set up as almost two whole mensa meals by the price, so we don’t have any complaints to make about it. It was also made in the provided timeframe, scoring an extra favourable review from us. 

Even though we had a lot to praise about it, I (🅱) do personally have a grudge about it (also towards the other contenders): the form was boring! Where are the mostly thought-provoking, or if not that totally unhinged questions at the end (This comment was made with the disapproval of that orange guy, but fuck him amirite)? I do genuinely miss those. Maybe it’s an opportunity for the remaining people (who are few, thanks to our super late article).