Tempura, wraps, brownie, and banana milkshake by Per and Nathalie – Mensa Masterchef 7

We forgot to take pictures, so there is a picture of a very satisfied Samir

Once more, it was up to Samir and I (Wietse) to review the cooking skills of our fellow Koornbeursers. Per and Nathalie seemingly only had one thing in mind: to make good food. However, as I’m sure you’ve all noticed, once you only focus on making good food your budget starts to suffer. As such, the mensa cost €6,-. That’s somewhat pricey (for a mensa), so the bar would also be set a bit higher as we of course wanted value for our hard-earned/loaned money. With this in mind, we primed our taste buds and dug in!

I arrived a little early, Samir a little late, but that did not matter: as it turns out, food had already been served. Consequently, there was no queue and we could immediately get started with the tempura! Samir and I agreed the taste was great, however, unfortunately, Samir had tempura from lower in the bowl, which meant his tempura had been lying in oil, losing its crunchiness. Still, there was plenty of tempura for everyone and then some.

Our appetite had certainly been whetted, so we quickly moved on to the wraps. Again, it was all self-serve, so there were no long queues. There were plenty of toppings to choose from: after a base of cream cheese, there was avocado, cucumber, salmon, veggie salmon, and surimi sticks. Admittedly, the cooks did little but cut the toppings, so in terms of complexity, we unfortunately cannot rank this course all that high. What was certainly in order was the taste, as well as the quantity: there was a second wrap for everyone! Already quite satisfied, we moved on to the last course.

The last course was a two-for-one: a CHONK of brownie and a banana milkshake. Now, the previous courses had certainly been delicious and satisfying, yet it was with this dessert that the cooks showed their skills. Baking a brownie or making a milkshake is one thing, but doing it well is another. Not to worry: the brownie was delicious and its structure was solid. The banana milkshake tasted how a banana milkshake is supposed to taste: thick and creamy with, well, a taste of banana. The only point of criticism there was to make was the absence of a vegan option. Oh well, bovine titty juice it is.

After the last course there was nothing for us to do but bask in satisfaction. Evaluating Per and Nathalie’s performance, we could only come to the conclusion that we had had a simply delicious meal – even the €6,- price tag was well justified in hindsight. We were more critical when it came to complexity and skill, yet Per and Nathalie can still look forward to a very solid mark from us!